Summer at MAPA
Each summer, MAPA offers several performing arts camps and classes. Everyone is sure to find something to get their toes tapping and heart rate pumping!
Summer Musical Theatre Camp
MAPA's Summer Musical Theatre Camps are comprehensive performing arts camps for students entering grades 3- college. Students develop skills in acting, singing and dancing through a rigorous and fun curriculum taught by professional teaching artists. Firmly rooted in the philosophy that sustained, regular participation in the arts is essential to the development of young people, the program provides each student with over 100 hours of instructional, rehearsal and performance time. As part of the process, students audition for roles in the culmination of the camps two blockbuster musicals complete with sets, costumes and lights. The performances give students the opportunity to demonstrate the knowledge and skills they have gained through the classes and rehearsals including:
- Acting (physical portrayal of character; vocal expression; emotional commitment and expression)
- Dance (body control; strength and flexibility; counting and rhythm; abstract and literal expression; spatial awareness)
- Voice (breath support and projection; natural singing voice; articulation)
- Professionalism (theatre etiquette; stage directions and annotations; memorization; timing )
- Collaboration (respect; trust of self and others; dependability; flexibility)
- Self-control through focus and concentration (onstage and offstage)
Summer Dance Semester
Our Summer Dance Semester includes Weekly Dance Camps and a variety of Dance Classes in Wailuku and Lahaina. All of our dance programs are designed to not only teach the foundations of dance but encourage self-confidence and team work in a safe, nurturing and inspiring environment.